Basic math and number concepts utilized in a preschool or kindergarten classroom set the foundation for learning more advanced math concepts. Early exposure to math and number activities will promote your child’s comfort with these skills.
Mathematics and Numeracy in our CAPS curriculum involves a variety of skills:
1. Numbers, operations and relationships – Numeral identification, Counting and counting on, Addition and subtraction, Multiplication and division, Notations, Place value, Fractions, decimals and percentages, Money, Rates and ratios, Sorting and classifying.
2. Patterns, functions and algebra – Pattern sequencing, recognition and creation, Functions and Algebra.
3. Space, shapes and geometry – 2D shapes and 3D objects, Symmetry, Transformation and Viewpoint.
4. Measurement – measurement instruments, Mass, Length, Area and perimeter, Capacity, Volume, Surface area, Temperature, Time and Angles.
5. Sorting and data handling – Sorting, Gathering, Organising, Classifying, Displaying and Interpreting data.